This morning the Abilene City Council gave unanimous approval to a Planned Development District that would incorporate the property on South First Street that is the former Lincoln Middle School. This was the result of several meetings between city and AISD officials, the APL and others. This is the first real protection that the building has ever had against demolition or neglectful misuse.
In 1924 the school opened, replacing two former school buildings on the block. It was intended, through the interpretation of architect David S. Castle, to represent to the world of visitors that passed by on the train or driving on the Bankhead Highway (South First) that Abilene was a community that is committed to education. Today’s action by the Council indicates that commitment is still there, along with an appreciation for our heritage.